With the rise of inbound marketing, content has become front and center in the minds of marketers. It is what search engines and people are looking for. Content drives visitors to your site and turns prospects into leads.
There are four basic questions you need to ask yourself regarding the content of your website:
1. Will people know what I do within seconds?
2. Will they understand what page they’re on and what it’s about?
3. Will they know what to do next?
4. Why should they buy/subscribe/download from this site instead of from someone else?
It should be apparent what your site is about, what they can do there and why they should take action. On your homepage and most important pages, consider these helpful tips in delivering the right message:
- Create a few headlines and sub-headlines for your most important pages. To combat question 4, use a powerful value proposition and steer clear from generic clichés and corporate speak.
- Include clear calls-to-action and next steps. Include links in your body copy, next steps at the end of the copy, and calls-to-action wherever appropriate. Include a little direction and you’ll be glad you did.
- Test your copy. For the most accurate indication of a winning headline, use A/B testing to determine which variation drives the most conversions. You can use tools like HubSpot’s A/B Testing Tools, Google’s Website Optimizer or services like 5 Second Test.